As a long-time blogger, I’m always on the hunt for places to find free photos on the Internet. I want cool, interesting, evocative images that don’t look like they were taken fifty years ago, and don’t look like everyone else has them.
Even if you’re not a blogger, though, you may have use for using free images in projects you’re working on.
Here is my (updated) list of favorite places to find free images online.
- MorgueFile.com is my new favorite site. It has a small but good collection of images I’m loving using that do not require any attribution. The best kind.
- Flickr.com always has tons of images available. However, you must read the individual terms of each photographer to figure out which you can use, and which you can’t. Go for the “Creative Commons” licenses to sort them. If you do use any image, link back.
- Bigfoto.com offers pictures from around the world, including America, Asia, Europe, Africa, and Pacific. Each main category has subcategories, for instance “aviation,” which allows you to choose from pictures in a certain theme.
- Fotogenika.net has you can get free if you plan to use for personal, educational, and nonprofit use. Commercial use is off the table, and you can’t ever claim you took them.
- FreeDigitalPhotos.net has more than 2000 free images you can use in both commercial and noncommercial work. You cannot sell, redistribute, or claim these images as your own. As with most of the sources on this list, just browse by category or search for exactly what you need.
Do you have others? Let me know!